Happy New Month ! I pray this month of August bring forth good tidings! Let’s start this month with this delicious recipe; Egg Coated Fried Yam (Yamarita). I love to eat yam and yam could be eaten in different ways, this is one of the different ways to enjoy yam. You could enjoy yam by boiling, roasting, pounding, or frying and so on.
Egg Coated Fried Yam (Yamarita) was prepared by boiling, then coated in seasoned eggs mixture, I added pepper in the egg mixture for more flavor but it optional you don’t have to add the pepper. This yamarita was served with Cabbage Fried Stew but feel free to serve yours with your favorite side however, this stew is the bomb you might want to consider trying it out.
You might want to try;
- ½-1 Small Yam Tuber (peeled and cut into rectangular or your desired shapes)
- ¼ Cup Flour (the amount of flour would be determined by how many yams you’re frying)
- 1-2 Tablespoon Chili (adjust to your preference)
- 2 Teaspoons Dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Green onion (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- Seasoning powder/cube (optional if you don’t eat seasoning powder replace with salt and pepper.)
Slice the yam into round then peel, cut into rectangular shape or your desired shapes.
Soak into a bowl of water then repeat the process with the rest of the yam.
- In a big saucepan or pot add the sliced yam and water, season with water then boil, when you pierce a fork into the yam, and it goes in without any restriction then it is cooked enough. You don’t want to over cook your yam if not it will fall apart. When the yam is done drain or remove the yam from the water; be careful with hot water.
- While the yam is boiling, make your dredge station; in a small bowl, add flour, thyme, red bell, chopped green onion, salt, seasoning powder if you’re using or replace with salt and pepper then whisk together.
- In another bowl, whisk an egg, milk, and salt. Mix both egg mixture and flour mixture together.
- Heat enough oil in a shallow pan/fryer/pot over medium-high heat. Coat each yam in the yam mixture then fry until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Aliyahsrecipesandtips newsletter for free and receive the new post notifications right into your inbox.
If you try any of my recipes, please feel free to rate and leave your thought. Also, I will love to see what you come up with please tag me on social media @aliyah_recipes #aliyahrecipes
Stalk me on social media: