Jerk chicken or jerk spice or jerk cooking style is native to the Jamaicans, this style of cooking involves hot spices it might be in the form of the dry or wet marinade. So today recipe; jerk chicken is taking us to Jamaica without boarding a flight…lol
I used homemade spices/seasoning to marinate the chicken, you can use a store-bought jerk seasoning but it will never be the same in terms of taste, homemade is the best. I used drumstick chicken, you can use boneless chicken or any part of the chicken you desired. If you’re using chicken breast or boneless chicken the cooking time will be different it cooks faster than bone-in chicken.
You might want to try;
- 8 Drumsticks Chicken
- 4 Cloves Garlic (peeled)
- 5 Green onion
- 3 Habanero/Rodo (you can use more)
- 1 Tablespoon Allspice ginger, thyme, low sodium soy sauce (each)
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg cinnamon powder, ginger, and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (each)
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (optional)
- ¼ Cup Thyme
- 1 Small onion
- Seasoning powder/cube
- Salt to taste
- Oil for brushing
Clean the chicken, pour the lemon juice over it, season with onion & garlic powder(optional) salt and seasoning powder(optional) you can replace it with black pepper, mix and set aside. I recommend you slashed the chicken once if you’re not marinating overnight to allow the seasoning to get penetrate but it’s totally optional.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor but oil. Blend all the ingredients together and pour about ¾ of it over the chicken, wear a glove or use a spoon and mix. Marinade for at least 2 hours I usually do overnight but if you don’t have enough time to wait make sure you marinate for at least 2 hours.
- You can use a grill or an oven to cook the chicken. If you’re using an oven preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, line a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes or until the juice runs clear. Note that the chicken size and quantity will determine the cooking time.
Heat the grill, clean, and brush with oil place the chicken and grill for about 20 minutes or more, flipping as it cooks until the chicken is cooked and the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F, or poke with a knife and if the juice runs clear it’s done.
Turn the chicken around while grilling but make sure you allow it to cook for about 3 minutes before you start flipping to avoid sticking to the grill. While grilling you can baste the chicken with the leftover sauce.
Boil the remaining jerk marinade (if you have leftover) in a pan and serve with a dash of ketchup.
- Serve and enjoy.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Aliyahsrecipesandtips newsletter for free and receive the new post notifications right into your inbox.
If you try any of my recipes, please feel free to rate and leave your thought. Also, I will love to see what you come up with please tag me on social media @aliyah_recipes #aliyahrecipes
Stalk me on social media: