Locust beans stew is one of the designer stews you would want to try especially if you use stockfish or dried fish or combination of both. You can use any protein of your choice for this locust beans stew, meat, cowleg, a mixture of cowleg, meat, intestine, I used stockfish, smoked fish, precooked snail, some hard-boiled eggs. If you’re using meat or mixture, for instance, meat and stockfish. Make sure you boil the toughest meat with the seasoning of your choice then add soaked stockfish later after the meat is almost done add boil the stockfish with the meat it helps with flavor.
For this recipe, if you can double the pepper quantity if you want more stew. There are other stew recipes and so simple recipes that are delicious on the blog please check them out.
You might want to try;
- ¾ -1 cup Palm oil
- 3 Big Red bell peppers
- 4 Habanero rodo (adjust to your preference)
- 4 Hard-boiled eggs (peeled); optional
- 2 Big smoked fish (soaked in hot water and salt; shredded)
- 2 Preboiled snails
- 4 Stockfish (soaked in hot water and salt overnight then boiled)
- ¼ Cup locust beans (iru rinsed)
- 2 Tablespoons Ground crayfish and fish (you can use just crayfish)
- 2 Small onions (divided or 1 big onion)
- 1 Tablespoon Tiny crayfish (optional) soaked in hot water and salt
- Seasoning powder/cube
- Salt to taste
Soak the stockfish and smoked fish in a bowl of hot water and salt separately. After a few minutes remove the smoked fish and rinse with cold water, shred the fish to debone and remove any dirt and set aside. Leave the stockfish in the water overnight. After soaking the fish I debone it. You can use any protein of your choice; you can use beef/cowleg/fish/gizzard/chicken/turkey. If you’re using meat make sure you boil (toughest meat first) with the seasoning of your choice, seasoning powder/cube and salt. You can slightly grill or fry.
- Clean the bell peppers, rodo, and one small onion (or half of a big onion) roughly blend them together and set aside. Rinse the iru (locust beans) drained and set aside. Chop up the remaining onion and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan/pot over medium-high heat and saute the remaining onion (chopped) for 1 minute.
- Add iru (locust beans, ground crayfish and groundfish (you don’t have to use the groundfish) and saute further for about 4-5 minutes on low heat by now your kitchen must have been smelling so good…lol.
Add the roughly blended pepper and stir. Season with seasoning powder/cube and salt, fry until the oil floats. When you're cooking season as you go.
Add the crayfish, fish, and snail or any proteins you’re using (your choice) and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
If you’re using boiled eggs, add them now, check the seasoning, readjust if necessary and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with your favorite side and enjoy it.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Aliyahsrecipesandtips newsletter for free and receive the new post notifications right into your inbox.
If you try any of my recipes, please feel free to rate and leave your thought. Also, I will love to see what you come up with please tag me on social media @aliyah_recipes #aliyahrecipes
Stalk me on social media: