Olive oil lemon infused is a multipurpose oil, it can be used as a salad dressing, in baking, it can be used on the skin, hair etcetera. Before you start to make this recipe, make sure you wash the lemons very well to get rid of all chemical on the lemons then pat dry. I made this oil for hair, but if you plan to use it on your skin, use it at night or do your research before you apply it on your skin. Also, if you plan to consume it make sure it is stored in a sterilized jar/bottle, you can check how to How To Sterilize a Canning Jar
The quantity of olive oil depends on how pungent you want your oil, you can do ratio 1:1/2 one cup of olive oil with one lemon(peel) or two. I usually mix the oil with other essential oil shea butter (ori) before using on my hair or my kids’ hair. There are different ways to make it, you can decide to do a cold press (no heating involved) or heat with minimal heat. To heat and infuse the oil, you can use these two ways;
Firstly, add the peel in a bowl then cover with olive oil then place the bowl in a boiling water for about 20-25 minutes before you store it for at least one week before you strain it.
Secondly, heat the lemon peel cover with oil on a low heat for about 10 minutes before you store for at least one week, then strain and store.
- 1 Cup 100% Extra olive oil
- 2 Lemon (you need the peel)
- Scrub the lemon or wash thoroughly.
- Pat dry the lemon using a paper towel thoroughly, use don’t want any liquid on the skin.
Use a potato peeler or a very sharp knife to gently peel the zest from the lemon. Make sure you don’t peel the white pith (white part) of the lemon when you’re peeling the skin off.
In a jar, add the peel and olive oil and keep in a dark cabinet (no sunlight) for about two weeks or at least one week. The quantity of oil depends on how pungent you want your oil, you can fill just enough to cover the lemon peel or do ratio 1:1. (one lemon peel to one cup of oil).
- Use a strainer to remove the peel and discard all the peel.
- Transfer the oil into a jar or bottle seal and store in a cool place. The oil doesn’t require a lot of light exposure.
- If you want to use heat to make it.
- Add the lemon peel and the oil into a saucepan, and warm over medium heat, just to infuse the lemon, don’t boil. You just want to warm for about 10-15 minutes, if you think it’s going to boil reduce the heat.
- Let it cool down and strain to remove the peel.
Keep in airtight sterilize container (if you're going to consume it) and safe in a place with no or minimal light.