This one-pan spicy chicken and rice is a very fast way to make your rice if you want a quick fix and not making sauce or stew separate. If you try this one-pan spicy chicken and rice the recipe would be a keeper because you’d want to make it every weeknight because it is quick and full of flavors. I used 2 jalapenos for the heat but you can use habanero(rodo) and adjust the heat to your preference, the heat lives in the seeds you can remove the seeds before chopping the peppers. If you don’t like heat at all, don’t use it. Also, bell peppers could be substituted for the sweet pepper if that’s what you have.
You might want to try;
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 Cups long grain rice
- 1 big fresh tomato
- 5 sweet pepper (I used different colors; diced)
- 2 Jalapeno (or Habanero/rodo; diced)
- 1 big onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Dried thyme and curry powder (divided; each)
- 3-4 cups Chicken broth
- ¼ cup olive oil (or your choice)
- Seasoning powder/cubes
- Salt to taste
- Add the cleaned chicken in a large bowl and season with paprika, thyme, cumin, seasoning powder, and salt. Combine and set aside. Wash your hands and rinse the rice under a running tap until the water runs clear. Clean the pepper, remove the seeds if you desire, chop up, and set aside.
Heat oil in the skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken (skin side up first) and brown, flip and cook the other side. It takes about 5 minutes (less or more depending on the size) for both sides to brown. Remember that you’re just browning and not cooking fully. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté diced onion until fragrant.
- Add garlic, thyme and cook for a few seconds. Add the chopped sweet pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, red pepper flakes and combine.
Add the rinsed rice, stir, return the chicken, season with curry, seasoning powder, salt, then add chicken broth just enough to cover the content.
Cover the skillet and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked. Fluff the rice with a fork, check the seasonings and readjust if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy it, if you like to serve with some lime slices or avocados.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Aliyahsrecipesandtips newsletter for free and receive the new post notifications right into your inbox.
If you try any of my recipes, please feel free to rate and leave your thought. Also, I will love to see what you come up with please tag me on social media @aliyah_recipes #aliyahrecipes
Stalk me on social media: