Orange chicken recipe is so easy to make and the good thing about this recipe is that it comes together under 30 minutes, orange chicken can be served with rice, quinoa and/steamed vegetables and before you know it you have your weeknight meal, how easy it’s that!
If you like Chinese food you will like this recipe, and you don’t need to step out of your home before you eat this delicious meal. The ingredients are very easy to access and it’s mostly what you already have in your pantry. Let’s get started.
- 2 Pieces Chicken breast (about 2 Lbs; cut into bite size)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (or your choice)
- 2/3 Cups Orange juice
- ¼ Cup Honey (more or less)
- ¼ Cup Low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 Cup Rice wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Corn starch
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Teaspoon Granulated ginger (divided)
- 1 Teaspoon White pepper (divided)
- Half Orange zest
- 1 Teaspoon Red pepper flake (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Green onion (Garnish)
- Toasted Sesame seeds (Garnish)
Season the bite-size chickens with a half teaspoon of granulated ginger, white pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the orange sauce; in a medium cup or bowl, whisk the orange juice, honey, minced garlic, granulated ginger, white pepper, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar (if you’re using), red pepper flake, zest (about ½ teaspoon), and cornstarch.
- In a wok/skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken in a single layer, you might have to do it in batches if you’re using a wok or a small skillet. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on both sides, it should cook but not fully cooked as it will continue to cook in the sauce.
If you do the chicken in batches add all the chicken together. Whisk and the orange mixture and bring to a boil, let the sauce thickens to your preference, depending on how much sauce you want, check the seasoning and readjust if necessary. Turn of the heat.
Serve and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onions. You can enjoy orange chicken with white rice, brown rice, quinoa, etcetera.
Orange chicken served with rice.
NOTE: For easy cut, cover the chicken with a plastic wrap and pound with a mallet or a rolling pin to have same flat level chicken