Zeppole (Italian Donuts) is pastry or snacks or dessert known to the Italians, it is very easy to make I would say it is the easiest donuts to make because it doesn’t involve rising of the dough or cut with cookie cutter, it very easy to fry as many fritters, just scoop and fry.
Zeppole (Italian Donuts) could be stuffed or filled with jelly, custard or just enjoy without any fillings. If you like powdered sugar you could dust some over the donuts after cooling down and pair with ice cream. The taste is heavenly!
This donut is one of our favorite desserts to make because of it simplicity. When mixing the donuts make sure you there are no lumps.
You might want to try;
- 1 Cup All – purpose flour
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Stick Unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon zest
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- Enough oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for serving
- In a saucepan/pot, add water, butter, sugar and melt the butter over medium- low heat.
- Take the off the heat and add flour and mix without any lumps, you could do this on the heat, but you need to be very fast to avoid lumps.
Return to the heat and cook stir as you cook, and this take about 2 minutes add the lemon zest in the process.
Remove from the heat and add the eggs one at a time and mix. You can use a stand mixer to mix the egg or just use a ladle to do the job.
- Heat the oil to about 350-360 degrees F, if you don’t a thermometer, deep a wooden ladle into the oil and if the oil bubbles around it’s ready to use or simply fry small dough and if it floats immediately it is ready and if it turns brown immediately it is too hot.
- Fry the dough by scooping with a small ice cream scoop or small spoon. Fry until golden brown turning the zeppole that’s not turning on its own with a spoon or slotted spoon. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels, repeat the process until the dough finished.
Allow to cool down, dust powdered sugar (if desire), serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Aliyahsrecipesandtips newsletter for free and receive the new post notifications right into your inbox.
If you try any of my recipes, please feel free to rate and leave your thought. Also, I will love to see what you come up with please tag me on social media @aliyah_recipes #aliyahrecipes
Stalk me on social media: