Just in time of mother’s day, this honey vanilla pound cake is what you can make for yourself, your mom, or any mom in your life, or just as a dessert to enjoy with your family. Pound cake was called pound cake because it was originally made with a pound of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour but ever since the recipe has been changed to different versions. This is one of many versions I make for my family. It is a delicious dessert everyone would like if you try it out you will understand better…lol.
When you’re making this recipe make sure you’re using room temperature for your required ingredients as specified in the recipe below, measuring is also key make sure your flour is leveled when you’re measuring out your flour. When you’re adding the flour mixture gently add it if you don’t want a flour bath…lol. You can serve it with cherries/berries, ice cream, or toast some slices of the cake and enjoy with tea. Let’s bake!
- 2 Cups Cake Flour
- 4 Eggs (Room temperature)
- 1/8 Cup Sugar (adjust to your preference)
- 2 Sticks Unsalted butter; 1 cup (Room temperature)
- 3 Tablespoons Raw honey
- 3 Teaspoons Vanilla extract
- ½ Teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 Lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons Sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the baking pan with butter or oil and set aside.
- Sift the cake flour, salt, and baking powder together
- Cream sugar and butter until fluffy and light, about 3 minutes or more.
- In a cup or bowl, crack in eggs
- Add the lemon zest
- Add vanilla extract
Add the honey and sour cream.
- Add the egg mixture to the sugar and butter mixture, one egg at a time.
- Combine all on a low speed, if you’re using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Use a spatula to scrap all the butter around the bowl.
- Gently add the dry ingredients and combine just enough to incorporate all the ingredients.
You will notice that you have some batter around the bowl that is not incorporated.
Use a spatula and gently combine everything.
- Pour in the batter into the prepared pan.
- Gently level the batter and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes depending on your oven.
- Insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake, and if it comes out clean that means it done.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to completely cool down about 30 minutes.
I forgot to take the final picture before cutting, my kids couldn't wait any longer, so I was rushing and forgot to take the final picture before I sliced the cake. I will try and update the post when I make another one.
- Slice up and serve with ice cream and drizzle some honey over it.
If you don't have cake flour you substitute.... For every one cup of regular cup of flour measure out 2 tablespoons of flour and replace with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.