Yam and beans porridge is one of my favorites and it is simply a delicious meal. I prepared to be more delicious and tasty by adding dried fish and plantains.
There was a twist in this yam and beans porridge, instead of adding the cubed yam directly to the beans I fried the yam first and this makes a whole lot of difference in this dish. However, If you don’t want to fry the yam first feel free to add the raw yam to the cooked beans.
Also, I used a slow cooker to prepare it, but you don’t have to use it you can use your pressure cooker or just a normal pot and still get the same result. I love to first boil my beans for about five minutes.
You might want to try;
- 2 Cups Honey beans (or your choice)
- 1 Ripe Plantains (cubed)
- 3-4 Slices Raw Yam (cubed)
- Grilled fish (deboned)
- 1 Red bell pepper (tatashe)
- 2 Habanero/Rodo
- 2 Onion (divided)
- ¼ Cup Palm oil (adjust to your preference)
- 2 Teaspoons Ground crayfish (optional)
- Seasoning powder/cube (optional)
- Salt to taste
Pick the beans make sure you pick any dirt then rinse. Add to a pot and add water cook for about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and add another water to the beans. I used slow cooker but you can use your pressure cooker or just pot and I added 3 cups of water to the beans, cooked with one onion on high heat for 4 hours. Depending on the type of beans you're cooking you might need more or less water to cook the beans.
Add the cubed plantains, season with salt and continue to cook.
Peel the yam, cube, and soak in water with salt. Here comes the fun and interesting part, heat palm oil in a saucepan/pot and fry the cubed yam for about 5 minutes. While the yam is frying blend the habanero/rodo and red bell pepper.
Add the fried yam to the cooked beans
- In the same oil, saute one chopped, saute the onion until it fragrant, if you’re using ground crayfish add now. Add blended pepper and fry until the oil floats. Add the deboned fish and season with seasoning powder/cube and salt.
- Add the fried stew to the beans and yam mixture and combine. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes and it done.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Aliyahsrecipesandtips newsletter for free and receive the new post notifications right into your inbox.
If you try any of my recipes, please feel free to rate and leave your thought. Also, I will love to see what you come up with please tag me on social media @aliyah_recipes #aliyahrecipes
Stalk me on social media: