This flaky biscuit is buttery, soft, and very delicious, this is a very perfect breakfast biscuit. Easy recipe that requires a few ingredients, in as much as this recipe is easy to make you need to make use of cold wet ingredients, the butter and buttermilk must be cold as much as possible, this is what makes the biscuits soft and flaky. You also need to roll in the dough into layers as fast as possible because you don’t want the butter to melt and the layers are important.
You can make some gravy to serve with it, I didn’t make gravy because my kids didn’t want it.
You might want to try;
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1/3 Cup Unsalted butter (cold)
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (cold)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg (for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F, and grease the skillet/baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
- Cut the cold butter in small pieces and add to the flour mixture, quickly mix to form coarse crumbs you should still see some cold butter inside.
Add the cold buttermilk and combine, place the dough on a floured surface worktop. You need to work as quickly as possible because you don’t want the butter melts.
Put the dough on a flour worktop top and put together by forming a ball.
- Use a rolling and roll the dough out, fold the dough into three layers, roll out again and fold in three layers do this like 3-4 times, this will make layers in the biscuits
- Finally, roll out to the dough to about ½’’ and use a cookie cutter to cut the dough in a circle.
Place the cut-out doughs into the skillet/prepared baking pan and brush with egg wash (mix one egg plus a tablespoon of water) you can also use milk for the egg wash.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. You see how good they look? You can see from this close picture.
Enjoy with scrambled egg, beef patty or any of your favorites.
NOTE: Make sure the butter and buttermilk are cold, this is very important, also if you don't have buttermilk you can substitute milk take away one tablespoon and replace it with lemon juice and leave the milk for at least 5 minutes.